Wednesday, January 25, 2012

{DIY} The Patchwork Scarf


I'm excited to share this tutorial with you, because I'm kind of in love with this scarf!
You know my constant knitting woes, so I was really pleased to make a scarf that didn't leave me tangled in yarn trying not to say bad words.

I bought a Liberty of London sample pack at the Tokyo Quilt Festival.  When I bought it, I wasn't really sure what I could make with 50 4"x4" squares, but I was so in love with the colors and it was a great price - I couldn't resist.  I'm glad I didn't, because this scarf turned out to be the perfect project for this little sample pack.  It could also be a great way to use up scraps from your stash.


I backed it with warm and fuzzy wool that my Grandma gave me.  
It was the perfect balance to the soft and silky Liberty prints.
Don't you want to make one?
I know you do.
So here we go....


Supplies:
50 4"x4" squares of fabric
1/2 yard fabric for backing at least 44"wide
scissors/pins/iron
sewing machine/thread

Step 1: Design your scarf by laying the squares into two rows of 25

Step 2:  Piece the scarf by sewing 4 squares into one larger square using 1/4" seams, like this:

select the first four squares in the scarf
sew two squares along one edge
be sure to press the seams open

repeat with the other two squares
Sew these four together, matching up the center seam, using 1/4" seam

press the seam open

so pretty!

continue this process until you have 12 large squares and an extra 2 small squares sewn together (that should equal 50).

Step 3: Next, sew the larger pieces to one another, right sides together, to form a long scarf (again use 1/4" seams).

Step 4: Cut out the back - two pieces 44" x 7.5".  Sew them end to end, right sides together, to form one long piece 88" x 7.5"

Step 5: Pin the back to the front, right sides together.

Sew along the edge, using 1/4" seams, but leave about 3" open at one end.


Step 6: Trim any uneven edges (you don't want it making your seams bulky) and cut the corners.

(uneven)

(even)

Flip the scarf right sides out.

Step 7:  Press under raw edges of the opening and pin.  Start there, and top stitch around all the edges 1/4".  I used a contrasting thread for this to make it decorative.  This step will take  your scarf from looking homemade to handmade.


And that's it!  Wrap it around your neck, and you're ready for the snow!  If you live in a warmer climate, but still like to wear scarves in the winter, simply back it with something light like a voile, and it will be the perfect weight.  As always, if you have any questions simply email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com.  Happy Sewing!
xoxo
jessica

2 comments:

  1. I love how it turned out! I love liberty of london- my favorite way to see it is in lots of small squares- so it's fun that you came up with a way to wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making one of these - using only 48 squares - have the top finished, going to buy backing fabric Friday and try to get it finished this weekend!
    Thanks for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...