Thursday, December 13, 2012

Anthropologie Knockoff: {DIY} Rainbow Yarn Tree



 Alright.  
My mantel this year has been driving me CRAZY.  I'm super grateful to the Officer for building me the adorable faux fireplace, but here's the deal:  when you live in Japan there is no "I'll run up to Target to pick up somethings for my mantel". or "I'll just run up to Michael's and grab the supplies for this cute little project".  I'm not trying to complain, just stating some of the reasons I had such difficulty with my mantel!!  
Anyway, I had seen this gorgeous Rainbow Rope Tree on Anthropologie - $48. 
I already had the supplies for this one, so my cost was $0.  But even if you had to buy some yarn it's a pretty cheap project!  


 

I got to work trimming my shrubs and digging up some yarn from my stash.
This is the first one I made....and while it lends a funky sort of vibe...it really just looks like my 4 year old wrapped it.

SO I studied the Anthro one a little bit more and began again.


You'll need:
1 branch
hot glue/craft glue
at least 6 different colors of yarn, that you can pair in twos
I used -navy and turquoise -red and raspberry -yellow and green

Then you simply start wrapping the branches!  This is seriously addicting and probably as close to meditation as I'll ever get.  When you finish one color, simply tie a little knot - you can come back later with some hot glue and tuck them in.
Once you have wrapped all the branches, it's time to do the trunk.  I used all 6 colors - enhancing the rainbow effect.

When you get close to a branch, you can tuck all but two of the colors along the backside of the trunk and only use the two that match the branch - this makes it look more like a continuous tree.  You know, like it magically grew with pretty yarn all over it.

Lastly just put a few dabs of glue on the ends - sticking them down - it's best to have a definite front and back so that these won't show.  So there you have it!  Enjoy your beautiful, textured tree!!


Oh, you want some more pics of the mantel?  
Here ya go:


the whole shebang:
(my Grandma made those needle-point stockings!  If you notice the Officer's is Will Ferrel as Elf, designed by the Officer himself)

Seriously, this tree is so easy and SO fun.  I'm wondering what else I can start wrapping with yarn (you can see I already did a cone tree...) So leave me a comment and let me know! 
What do you think?!?
xoxo
jessica

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute Jessica!! I love both your versions - the funky one is sweet too! I think the whole mantel looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show what a little creativity can do. Nice mantel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...