Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My favorite Japanese fabric store!

As many of you know, Japanese import fabrics are kind of a big deal.  So when I found out I was moving to Japan, I was excited about the prospect of finding awesome Japanese fabric.  
Well, it wasn't that easy.  
Just like in America, there are all different kinds of fabric stores here - some with designer fabrics, some selling the lower end items.  But FINALLY, about 3 months ago while my mom was here, we discovered the best fabric store.  

It's called Swany and it's located in Kamakura- about 15 minutes from my house.  In the main building it has three floors of gorgeous fabrics - Liberty of London, wools, home decor, laminates, quilting cottons (although no Anna Maria Horner, I'm pretty sure her designs are way too colorful for the Japanese).  

There's also a bargain annex, with really great prices - because the regular stuff isn't cheap. 

If you thought you could come to Japan and buy Japanese import fabrics at a better price - you'd be wrong.  Everything is expensive here, which is why it's kind of amazing that they have an entire building dedicated to markdowns and discontinued.  I couldn't take any pictures inside -that's very frowned upon, but I thought you might enjoy seeing where I go to pump up my stash :)  And let me just say - thank your lucky stars Americans, that you have Joanns, or Hobby Lobby, or Michaels.  Shopping in those places makes crafting and sewing so easy, and (especially compared to here) inexpensive.   But it is a neat experience to learn about the Japanese way of sewing and crafting.
Happy Shopping!
xoxo
jessica

4 comments:

  1. I was in the navy and stationed in Yokosuka in 2005-2007 - and unfortunately, I wasn't yet a sewer! Are you at Yokosuka? I really, really miss the stationery store on Blue St.! There used to be a pretty good craft section at Daiei Mall, but that's as far as I got. I'm so glad you're adventuring out in Japanese fabric stores and posting pics. I really miss it, and Kamakura is the best! And you're right, it is soooo expensive. I thought about buying fabric there for crafting, and I gasped. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool store! It's a bummer that it's so expensive but it sounds like a fun place to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm pretty sure her designs are way too colorful for the Japanese"
    That made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your colour comment on Anna Maria Horner fabrics! I stock them in my online fabric store and they are my absolute favourite - along with Tula Pink of course! If you don't find what you're looking for in Japan, we're more than happy to post over to you from Australia! Love your blog! Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...