Monday, November 28, 2011

Candied Citrus Peel


I come from a Florida family.  Both of my parents grew up in Florida and most of their grandparents did too.  So needless to say, we love citrus.  I have many memories of my great-grandmother and my Grandma making delicious ambrosia during the holidays, then they would take the citrus peel and make candy!  Well I'd never made it before, but last week I was feeling adventurous and so I made some!  It turned out really well and was so tasty.

 I promise you the orange ones tasted exactly like those sugary orange slices you can buy - only these are way better...(I won't necessarily say better for you...'cause we're still talking about candy here).  I seriously encourage you to give this a try - it's not hard to make, there are just several steps - but hey - put on your favorite Christmas movie and start peeling!

Candied Citrus Peel
(adapted from Martha Stewart Living)
Ingredients:
3 oranges, 2 lemons, 1 grapefruit
4 cups of sugar, plus more for rolling
water/paring knife/paper towel

Step 1:  Peel the fruit.  Make slits in the peel with your knife - cut from top to bottom cutting through the peel but not the fruit.  It takes about 6 cuts per fruit.  Then use your fingers and gently pull the peel away from the fruit.
Step 2:  Remove the pith.  This step is a pain, but it makes the difference between sweet candy and bitter peel rolled in sugar.  Use a paring knife to peel off the white pith that lines the peel - just do the best you can, but the more you take off the less bitter your candy will be.
Step 3:  Put the peels in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.  Bring it to a boil, then drain the water.  Repeat this two more times, using cold water each time.  After you drain it the last time, put the peels in a bowl.
Step 4:  Put the 4 cups of sugar into the saucepan along with 4 cups of water.  Bring this to a boil then put the peel in and reduce to medium low - so that it is simmering nicely.  Let it simmer for about an hour or until the peels look transluscent.
**Bonus - this also makes your house smell amazing**
Step 5:  Let the peels cool in the syrup - usually takes about 1 1/2 hrs.  Put a piece of parchment paper down, and then set a cooling rack on top.  Ladle the peels out with a slotted spoon onto the rack - letting the excess syrup drip off.
Step 6:  Take the peels off a few at a time and pat the excess syrup off with a paper towel - then roll them in a bowl of sugar.  Place them on a candy plate and cover with plastic wrap until you're ready to eat them!
Mmm - so yummy I think I'll make some more!
Happy candy making!
xoxo
jessica

2 comments:

  1. Those look great! Do you have to use different types of citrus, or could you do all oranges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the candy slices from the candy store, so I think I will have to try these. They have to be a little bit better for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...