Wednesday, November 23, 2011

{DIY} Felt Trees


I was browsing the Garnet Hill website when I came across these little lovely trees.

Sadly, they are no longer available on the website, so I headed out to Michaels.
 It turns out they're really inexpensive and easy to make.

  
If you didn't use hot glue, they would be a great craft for kids too! 
Here are the supplies:
 my total cost: $3.61
(I already had hot glue at home)

Step 1:  Make the paper cones.  At first I wanted to use styrofoam cones, but they're kind of expensive so I decided to make paper ones.  Roll the paper so it forms a cone and put a dot of glue at the bottom to hold it in place.


Step 2:  Cut off the excess along the edge, then glue the edge closed.

Step 3:  Make the bottom edge even so that it will stand straight.

Cute little trees!

Step 4:   Fold the felt in half width-wise, like a hamburger bun.  Cut from the edge to the fold in an arc, be sure the top of the arc is at the fold.  Cut them about 2 1/2" wide - I was able to get three strips out of one piece of felt.

Step 5:  Keeping them folded, and following the arc, cut a scalloped edge along one side.

Each strip should look like this once you open it.


Step 6: Starting at the bottom of the tree, hot glue the strips to the cone.

If you like, you can cut out a felt star for the top.

And there you go! 
Whimsical felt trees for your mantle or a shelf! 
Happy crafting!
xoxo
jessica

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I just made a little tutorial for pompom Christmas trees! We all seem to be in holiday decorating mode! I'm having a little festive giveaway - I hope you will be able to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found this on pinterest. been searching the stores for a tall "red" tree for my window ledge. Duh! Never thought to make one! Thanks for the tutee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...