Monday, March 14, 2011

DIY Kid's Craft: Pot of Gold Tambourine with Rainbow Streamers


I know I haven't exactly been in the St. Patty's spirit - so Monday Charlotte and I made this little tambourine to help us celebrate!  It's super easy to make, but I would recommend it only for kids 2 1/2ish and up...even with Charlotte it was a little hard to keep her interest.  Of course I had to keep stopping to take pics...which was frustrating to her. Rightfully so.  But now YOU can make one too :)  Here are the supplies you will need:
2 Paper plates
gold/yellow glitter
pennies
black markers
stapler/staples
ribbon/fabric scraps in rainbow colors
cardstock
scissors and glue

Step 1:  Cut off about 1/3 of the paper plates.  Color the back sides black with marker.  I suppose you could also cover them in black paper, but Charlotte really wanted to use markers.

Put them "right" sides together and staple well all around the outside edge.  Leave the top open.

Step 2:  Cut out about 12 little circles out of cardstock.  Spread glue on one side and sprinkle glitter all over them.  Set them aside to dry.  These are your coins.
(obviously it doesn't matter if they are perfect circles ;)

Step 3:  Staple the streamers onto the back plate in the rainbow order.

Fill the pot with (what else?) money.  

Step 4:  Lay the coins in between the plates peeking out of the pot.  
Staple the coins and both plates together - sealing the pot.
YAY!  Now make up some funky Irish dance and shake your tambourine!
jessica

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love this. :) I may adapt it and use streamers (for cost purposes-the trim is adorable) and glue them on for my kindergarteners. They'd love these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I love that it is a tambourine! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this! I'm definitely making these for next St. Patty's day. You should come link up with Fun for Kids Friday! www.localfunforkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...