Friday, April 22, 2011

{DIY} Graduation Hat Bunting - with paint chips!



We're getting pretty excited, Ryan is graduating from grad school in 9 days!!! He's been in college now for 9 years...needless to say we are planning a huge bash.  Lots of things to celebrate!  So I am busy with party prep - including this little hat bunting made from paint chips!

(If the orange and blue offends you...just imagine it in your very own Alma Mater)
If you would like to make your own for that special graduate in your life here's what you will need:
Paint chips in the appropriate colors
ribbon
tape
scissors
hat template

Step 1:  Print and cut out the template.

Lay it on a paint chip and trace around.

Step 2:  Cut it out.  Continue this until you have the desired number of hats. (I had 15)

Step 3:  Next punch holes in each end of the hat - feed the ribbon through them until they are all strung together.

Then hang your little bunting!
(I'll have pics from the actual party too - it's in Florida
so obviously the bunting won't be hanging from my mantle...)

Have a great day!!
jessica

12 comments:

  1. Wow! This is awesome. I love that you are using the paint chips for a cheap, easy project. Thanks so much for sharing. My kids are getting too close to graduation for my share (Okay, 3 years still...but it's coming too fast for my liking!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! My oldest is graduating this year. (sniff) I may have to do this for him! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so clever! No graduates in my near future but you never know when these could come in handy. Maybe make some cards with them too! I'd like to invite you to share this at my VIP party this weekend. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for graduation! What a milestone for you and your family. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome! What a great idea. Sawyer is not near graduating anything but I will have to keep is in mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you cut them all by hand?? Wow! That is really, really cute and I love that you used paint chips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a cute idea! Will have to do that when my sister graduates in May! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for getting back to me! Not many people take the time to do that anymore... I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute use for paint chips! Brilliant =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at Home Depot the other day and saw all the paint chip samples and thought...there's got to be something to do with these! VOILA! Found your blog! Brilliant, just brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...