Saturday, April 9, 2011

{DIY} Jellybean Bunting


This is a kid's craft, home decor, recycling project all rolled into one.  Doesn't get much better than that.  I was going to save this for Monday - but I thought you might be decorating your house some this weekend and I wanted to share.

So here's your Monday post, two days early.

Supplies:
3x5 index cards
old magazines
white glue
water
paint brushes
hot glue
string/ribbon

Step 1:  Tear up old magazine pages into little bits - and arrange them by color.  I used an old Anthropologie catalog and an old Country Living.  Now grab your kids (or your friends or your hubby) and sit down at the table.  Pour some glue into a paper bowl and dilute it with water.

Step 2:  Give everyone a 3x5 card and have them paint the glue mixture onto it - place the paper pieces on - then put some more glue on top of the pieces.  This is not hard, my two year old did it with ease and had a blast.  When you're done it should look something like this:

Let them dry for a while.  You may have to lay a book on top so they will dry flat.

Step 3:  Draw a bean template (also could be an egg) 1"wide x 2" long.  On the back of your index card, trace the bean shape - I was able to get about 4 beans per card.  Cut out the beans.

mmmmm... I feel more festive already. 


Step 4:  Heat up your glue gun.  Cut a very long piece of ribbon.  Sandwich the ribbon in between two beans and hot glue the beans together.  Move about 3" down the ribbon and repeat this process.  Continue until all the beans are on the ribbon.

Now hang them in a little spot that needs some spring cheer!
Mine was the finishing touch to my mantle:

Happy decorating!
xo
jessica

7 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! I saw this on OPT and loved it! My girls would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like a fun project! Colorful and kid friendly, too boot! I want to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, beg your husband but don't tell him the truth - it is addicting!! You will find yourself taking photos of every single thing in your home.......it's crazy!! New follower, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Taced from Italy (I went here from TipJunkie!)... so cute idea... thank you for sharing.
    If you want, visit my blog here:
    http://handmadecreativity.blogspot.com

    Taced

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a fun idea - and looks great next to your awesome clock! :) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. where did you get that clock! I love the colors of the eggs. so great, saw you on tip junkie


    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sooo fun and pretty!! I am so behind in my reading - but I have loved all your projects!! This is just darling and so are the pillow, clip and the little egg treats!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...