Monday, July 25, 2011

*CTSB* - {DIY}Anthropologie-inspired Bracelet - Beverly from Flamingo Toes

Hello Sew Homegrown Readers! I am so happy to be here today!
This Cure for the Summertime Blues series is a blast and I have so many great projects added my to-do lists!
My name is Beverly and I blog over at Flamingo Toes.


I love doing home decor, sewing and jewelry projects - but my favorite things to make are knockoffs!

It's so fun to be able to recreate something that is fun at a fraction of the price in the store!
So when it came time to decide on what I wanted to make for Jessica's series - I went "shopping" at my favorite place to knockoff - Anthropologie!

I fell in love with their new Weights and Measures Bracelet and had to recreate it!
Here is my version . . .

And here is Anthro's!

 
Isn't it great?? I love the combo of the pearls with the chains!
Here's what you'll need to make your very own.
• small amount of fabric (I used linen because I wanted something a little heavier than the chiffon they used)

• pearls (mine were 5mm and I used about 56. You'll need more or less if use a different size of pearls)

• small chain - at least 84" (the smaller the chain, the easier the bracelet will be to tie)

• needle and matching thread
Begin by cutting out the fabric for the bracelet.
You'll need one long piece 2" x 14" and 2 smaller pieces 1 1/2" x 5".
About 3" from each end of the longer piece, trim the ends so they come to a point.
Find the centers of the long piece and one of the shorter pieces. Line them up with the shorter piece on the back of the longer piece.
Tuck the ends under and pin them. This will stabilize the area that you sew the pearls to.
On the front of this section, draw out with a disappearing ink marker the lines that you are going to sew your pearls on. Stay 1/2" away from the edge, this will be part of the hem.

Begin sewing down your strands of pearls. Add the pearls for each row to your thread and sew them down.
Sew down the strand between each pearl also. This will help the strand lay flat.
Continue to fill up the center section with rows of pearls.

 
Working on the back side of the bracelet, turn the raw edges over in tiny folds to create a hem.

 
Continue working your way around the bracelet until both sides are hemmed.
Now we're going to work on the chain. Cut the short pieces for the sides next. You'll need 24 - 2" pieces.
Lay out a longer piece of chain (at least 18") to begin sewing down the long side of the bracelet. Start sewing the chain to the bracelet 2" from the end of the chain.
As you sew this long piece down, you're going to add in the short pieces. There are 6 short pieces of chain on each end of the bracelet, on both sides.
Hopefully that made sense. ;)
Evenly space out these shorter pieces and sew them on as you go, working your way down the side of the bracelet.
When you get to the other end of the bracelet, cut the chain so there is a 2" piece that extends past the end of the fabric.
Repeat for the other side of the bracelet.

And that finishes off your super cute new knockoff!!

 
To wear, just knot the ends loosely!
Isn't it fun? I really like how it turned out. I hope you do too. :)
I'd love for you to come check out Flamingo Toes sometime!
You can see some of my other Jewelry knockoff's here.

And on Sundays I host a fun Link Party where you can show off all your fabulous projects!
Thanks so much for including me in the series Jessica - it was a blast!


Wow - I just love it don't you?!  It reminds me of something a mermaid might create from treasures she found on the ocean floor - I am definitely making this one!!  Hope everyone had a lovely weekend - coming up tomorrow is Tristin from Two Girls Being Crafty- see you then!
xoxo
jessica

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Beverly this is absolutely GORGEOUS! I think yours looks better than Anthro's. I already have SO much to do from this series, but I think this may have to go to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - I just posted it on my board at Pinterest! Hope you get more followers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really like!!!! And how could I not- combining your cure for the summertime blues series with another fav- flamingo toes- so of course it's goooood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cool. Another great job Bev. Geez, I wandered over here from Sew Mama Sew today after seeing the post there about Jessica and find you here too. Gosh, you seem to be everywhere lately. LOL Great tutorial as always Bev. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica thanks so much for including me in your fabulous Summer Series!! It was so much fun!
    And thanks everyone for all the super sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so talented! I love all of your jewelry knockoffs. They are better than the "originals!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It looks just like the original. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! I featured it on my TT&J faceboook page :)

    xoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is HOT! I love it! I just recently went into an Anthro store for the very first time! It was tragic. This is why I so love people like you who have the creative mind to do knock offs! Would love to have you link to my party this weekend too! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/07/vip-party-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is simply gorgeous...thanks so much for sharing the how-to!
    ♥jaime...sevensisters

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...