Wednesday, July 20, 2011

*CTSB*: Vintage Lace and Linen Belt - Elizabeth from Simple Simon & Co.

Hi.  My name is Elizabeth and I blog at Simple Simon & Co with my sister-in-law Liz.  Yes, we are two girls who married brothers, who always had the same first name and then ended up with the same last names.  Confusing, yes.  We get it all the time.  We are teased as being the good Liz and the bad Liz...but we won't confess which is which on a particular day.  We blog about sewing, crazy thrift store finds, and we also love to see what we can make every week for $5 or less.  Come see us sometime!  We'd love to have you join us.
I have had linen and lace on the brain lately.  Sadly, I have had a summer bag cut out of linen and lace for over a month now that was inspired by Jessica's market bag, but I need the energy to start it.  I have had much more success with smaller projects lately.  Maybe sometime soon I will get more enthusiasm for a bigger and longer project.
Anyway, this belt was made from the scraps of the linen and lace bag.  The lace was a thrift store find that was on a bolt for a dollar--and I love it!   The other great thing about this project is that was about a thirty minuter so I could easily fit it into "resting time" which in the summers are way shorter than my usual sewing time.
So, if you need a fast and easy scrap project here is what I did.
And here's how you make it...
And you are done!  A quick and easy summer update to your wardrobe...that looks expensive, but is really made of scraps.  Score!

Can you see the safety pin at the back?  This dress form is about Hannie's size waist.....and I made the belt for me.  Hence the huge tuck in the back.
I do love velvet ribbon.  Anyone have any good online sources?  This spool was on clearance because it had a flaw, but it was still pretty expensive.  I sometimes just wish I had a fabric and ribbon fairy.
Jessica, thanks for having me.....it is always a fun time over here.

Thanks Elizabeth!  Isn't that adorable?  Leave her some comment love girls!  Up next tomorrow - Melissa from Love Affair with my Brother.  See you then!
xoxo
jessica

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...this belt is gorgeous!!! I need to make one...pinning it...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes ,it is adorable,I love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh! It's so pretty and feminine!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty belt, what a nice way to show off some of your vintage lace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!!! Wow. I'm going to have to add it to my list!!
    I have bought velvet ribbon from The Ribbon Retreat and been really happy with it! :)
    Jessica this is a fabulous series!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this project. I will definitely make it. What a cute wire dress form as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to so this! Come see how to organize some of your supplies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...