Wednesday, July 27, 2011

*CTSB* - "Grass Babies" a kid's craft with Sunni from Love Affair with my Brother

Hi! I'm Sunni from Love Affair with my Brother. I was so excited when Jessica asked me to contribute to Cure the Summertime Blues. A little about me: I am a mommy of 2 little girls. I write a blog with my dear friend, Melissa. We chronicle our constant love and affection for our sewing machines by showcasing craft and sewing projects. Come by and see us!

It seems like the entire country is experiencing scorching heat, but here in the Pacific Northwest, we seem to be having an extended spring. Lots of rain and low temperatures (60's). So, unfortunately for my girls, we are still spending quite a few days indoors!!
So, I had to come up with a summery activity that anyone across the country could do. This is not my original idea. I have seen it elsewhere, but I am going to give you the details to make your own!! My daughter calls them "Grass Babies" I call it a "DIY Chia-head". Call it what you may, it is cute!!
And they are so cheap and simple to make.


You will need:
pantyhose (I used the freebies from the shoe department)
grass or wheatgrass seeds
soil
rubberbands
tray or jars to put them in
buttons, brads and foam decorations

I'm guess that you have most of this in your home or stash. The only thing I bought was the wheatgrass seeds. I used wheatgrass because stores don't sell tiny packets of lawn seed. So, if you are reseeding your lawn soon, just set aside a little of those seeds.

So, open up a pantyhose sock. I doubled up on a few, because these were so cheap and thin. 


Pour in some seeds.



Pour in some soil. I used a little from my vegetable garden.


Once you have a nice little ball, tie it off with a rubberband or knot.


Using a small rubber band, grab up a little mound and add a nose. I only went around the nose once, because the dirt will get pressed out if you fiddle with it too much.


Add some ears in the same manner. Your little Grass Baby is really coming together!! 


I used brads and buttons to add a face. I thought foam stickers or shapes would be fun to add, too, but we couldn't find any!!

When sewing on a button, I don't recommend using cotton thread. It might get moldy or mildew. Ewww. I used invisible nylon thread and looped it through a couple of times. Then I just tied it in the front with a knot. That should do it!!


Now just water your grass babies in a tray or place them in a jar with the tail sticking in the water. Water should wick up the pantyhose. I checked them every couple of days and added a little water, because I didn't trust the cheap pantyhose to wick it (wick it good).




The best thing about wheatgrass is that it sprouts so FAST! We had sprouts on day 2. As far as gardening goes, this is instant gratification. You can practically see it! It's as fun as watching grass grow!!



The wheatgrass is pretty to have in your kitchen or a windowsill. I sneak it my girls' morning smoothie because it is so nutritious. They will never know!



Thanks Sunni! I know Charlotte will love this!  Leave her some comment love everyone :)
xoxo
jessica

8 comments:

  1. What a cool idea... And any post with a DEVO reference gets a comment from me!!

    I might try this with sweet grass. My boys like to dry it, braid it and then burn it like incense. It smells pretty good, it covers the smell of sweaty soccer gear, and it's not a candle, so it's "cool".

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness those are so fun and creepy all at the same time! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! I can't wait to try this with my g-kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I can't wait to try these with my kids. Just fyi, you're link to Love Affair With My Brother takes you to some bizarre page. Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AWESOME!! Totally doing this with my boys soon. And a great excuse to get out my button collection!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am teaching a "God is Good at Life" bible class for K-2nd grade at church. We are definating going to do this for each one of them. They will love it! I'm also teaching Botany to my daughter this year at home. I think we will make the whole family! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...