Friday, September 9, 2011

Halloween Outfit Part One: {DIY} Applique T-shirt


Here's the great thing about this project: there's no construction of clothing. 
It's all embellishments.  That means it's EASY!
The first little dip in temperature had me feeling all fallish and halloweenish(?), so I headed out to the fabric store to scope out the Halloween fabric.  I came upon this adorable stuff from Riley Blake Designs by My Mind's Eye "Boo to You" - orange scatter
I knew those little creatures would make the perfect applique for a Halloween T-shirt for Charlotte!
This is a great way to get a one-of-a-kind look for your little one, and they can help you design it!
Charlotte picked out each little character for her shirts.
I don't know what really gave me the idea for the Tulle Skirted Leggings, but I'm kinda in love with them.  I'll put up a tutorial on Monday for those.
 But today we're going to focus on the shirts.
Here's the supply list.

Let me say - you really need to try to find the Steam-a-seam stuff. It is a.ma.zing!
 Really made this whole process easier.  I'll explain how to use it - keep reading.
I also added that little ruffle trim - it's actually elastic with a ruffle along the edge.  I found it at my fabric store, but I'm not sure what brand it is.

Step 1:  Select some characters from the fabric and cut them out.  Then peel back the paper portion of the Steam-a-Seam and lay your fabric pieces on top - press them into the S.a.S. with your finger.
Cut out each shape exactly the way you would like it to appear on for the applique.
Now you need to peel the paper off the fabric. 
You will see a sticky webbing magically left on the fabric.
Position your appliques where you would like them to live.  You can stick them to the shirt, even try it on, and if you don't like it just peel it off and restick it until you get it right. 
I'm telling you I love this stuff. 
 I put the center applique on first - 2" from the neckline.

Once you have it where you want it, iron it to the shirt.
Step 2:  Okay - now it's time to sew. 
Place the stabilizer behind the appliques and the layer of the shirt they are stuck to.
Set your machine to a zig-zag stitch.  Then adjust the width and length of the stitch.  I found a width of 3 and a length of .5 worked well for me, but I would suggest playing around on your machine first until you find the width you like.

Take  your time and stitch around the edge of each applique.  Be sure that the back layer of the shirt stays out of the way, and that the shirt doesn't bunch.

Step 3:  Clip the threads and gently pull off the stabilizer.
And that's it!!  Personalized, adorable little shirts. 

I'm dying to make more - it's kind of addicting. 
Hope you give it a try!
Have a great weekend.
xoxo
jessica

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! I have been wanting to try this myself and I am so glad for the tip to use the Steam a seam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute Jessica!! I love the appliques - they are so fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...