Monday, September 5, 2011

My Super Mommy Smoothie

So I was reading in Fit Pregnancy that pregnant/lactating women are supposed to have around 70g of protein a day!!!  Whoa....I definitely don't do that.  Non-pregnant/lactating women are supposed to eat 46g, which I probably didn't do either.  So I decided to start drinking smoothies in the morning for breakfast, and here is one I concocted that gets in over half of my protein requirement!

1 scoop chocolate Protein Powder
1/2 Banana
1/2 cup of Fat Free Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup of Organic Skim Milk
1 T of Peanut Butter
 3-4 Ice Cubes
Here's the nutrition information - it may vary depending on the brands you buy.  I use Dannon Plain Oikos Greek Yogurt and Six Star Whey Protein Powder.
445 calories
10.5 Fat (they're good fats :)
45.5 carbs
6 fiber
46.5 protein

I use my new little blender - it's the GE brand, that I actually bought at Wal-Mart for $20 - to blend it.
It turned out super yummy and keeps me full for a long time, AND helps give me the energy to chase a 3 year old and grow a baby :)
xoxo
jessica 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of smoothies as meals for myself. This is a weird combo but I love it (I never measure so not sure the exact amounts): a handful or two of frozen berries (rasberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries), 1 (or half depending) frozen banana, some glugs of milk, spoonful or two of peanut butter, and the weirdest part...handful of oats (NOT steel cut!). I personally love the combo of everything and the oats make it filling and give it a nice texture. I use frozen fruit so I don't have to use ice but if it wasn't frozen I would use ice too.

    (Full disclosure this is a riff on a Jamba Juice smoothie where they use granola instead of oats)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a smoothie girl myself until I started having reactions to the bananas (not sure what happened as I've loved them my whole life!) They're a great snack or meal replacement. I need to get more creative with what I make though; my old standby is yogurt, bananas & peanut or almond butter and while my 2 yr old likes that I need some variation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...