Tuesday, October 11, 2011

{DIY} Anthro Pinwheel Pushpins

These little guys are so cute and quick to whip up, they should be at the top of your gift-making list. 
 Plus they use up scraps!  and you don't need a sewing machine.
Anyone can make these!!!

Here's my version:
cost - $.24 (yes a quarter!)


cost - $15

The secret to making these the cutest pushpins you've ever seen, is the size. 
Finished they are only 3/4" across (which you cannot tell by that Anthro pic). 
Teeny tiny and oh-so-adorable.

Here are the supplies you will need:
various scraps of fabric
needle/thread
scissors
small beads (I used little seed beads)
a pack of pushpins
a 1.5" circle template

Step 1:  Cut 8 (or as many as you want) circles, 1.5" in diameter, out of different colors of fabric.

Step 2:  Make them into yo-yos: Thread the needle and tie a knot in the end.   With the wrong side of the fabric facing you, fold the edge over toward you about 1/8" and push your needle through. 

Use a running stitch to gather the edge of the circle - folding the raw edge in as you go.

Push the pin through the center of the circle, then pull the thread tight to gather the yo-yo completely.

Step 3:  Slip 3 small beads onto the needle and thread, and secure them in the center.

Tie a knot in the thread and cut it. 
Repeat with each pushpin until you have the desired amount!

It's a perfect gift for someone with a new job or even a great stocking stuffer!
Happy crafting,
xoxo
jessica


15 comments:

  1. These are super cute Jessica!! I am not fond of yo-yo's ( I had a bad yo-yo experience. ;) but I'd be willing to whip some up for push pins as cute as these!!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and love the new blog design too!! Lots of room for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too sweet! Great project to make w/ my granddaughters. New follower.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it, Jess. I just pinned it...will be doing this for some gifts this holiday season.
    Angela Reed/arogueangel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I gotta try this! Thanks & Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute. could these also work as an embellishment for bobby pins or hair clips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are just plain adorable! I'm totally pinning this [no pun intended...lol]. I think yours look great! Would you share them here, pretty pleeeeeease?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/csh-thursday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES!! I saw these on Pinterest and wanted to "remake" them, but when I visited Anthro I saw how teeny tiny they really were and thought- all the more reason to make them myself and not buy them!!! They look GREAT!!! and thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! This really appeals to my love of working with bright colors. And I had no idea it would be so easy! Definitely going on my to-make-for-Christmas list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are too cute! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jessica! I just saw these push pins on the Anthropologie website and was writing a blog post on them titled "fabulous friday find".

    As I was writing I thought "I bet I could make these!", then I immediately came across your blog with this tutorial and was so excited.

    I decided to include this tutorial on my blog for those of use who would love to try this!

    If you'd like to take a look here's the link :))

    http://lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com/2012/01/fabulous-friday-find.html

    Btw I'm now your newest follower :)

    Happy New Year,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic tutorial! I can't imagine anyone spending $15 to buy these at Anthro when you can make them so easily, and cheap ;) Definitely gonna have to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...