Monday, December 6, 2010

*Merry Monday* Christmas Wish List Ornament

This is an adorable idea my friend Shannon got from her daughter's preschool teacher.  It would be something cute to keep or give to a grandparent.  You could really write anything on the little piece of paper - 10 reasons I love you, 10 favorite songs or memories - get creative!  So take it away Shannon -
A Very Merry Monday to you. Do you remember making Christmas ornaments as a child? You may even have some hanging from your tree. Do you remember what was on your Christmas Wish List when you were 5? This Merry Monday combines making an ornament and a Wish List and makes a wonderful keepsake for years to come. I can't take credit for this though, my oldest daughter made this ornament in Preschool last year. I loved it so much, I wanted all three of my girls to make one this year. This is so Super Easy and FUN! Here is what you will need:
  • Large Wooden Spool (I bought a 4 pack at a local craft store for $1.78)
  • Craft paint
  • paint brush
  • paper plate
  • paper
  • pen 
  • glue
  • wire or chenille stem
  • beads
Let's get started. Measure the width of the spool (where the thread usually is) and the circumference of the spool adding about 1/2 inch for overlap. Cut your paper into strips using those measurements. Our strips were about 5 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches wide. I used regular scissors but it may be nice to cut the long edges of the paper with craft scissors in a scallop or zig-zag pattern to add a bit more whimsy.
Place dollops of paint on the paper plate and let your little artists go to work. The center of the spool will be covered by the paper, but painting the center adds color that peeks out from the edges. Just let them paint until their hearts are content.


While your artists are busy at their craft, talk to them about their Christmas Wish Lists and write it on the strips. Make sure to write the child's name and date (for posterity of course). Once the spools are dry, glue the Wish List to the spool using craft glue (I am sorry I don't have a picture of this).
Thread the wire or chenille stem through the spool. We used floral wire because that's what I had, and it was stiff to hold and thread the beads on. I cut the wire to about 15 inches.

 Now turn the artists loose again to string beads on to the wire.


Make sure that the beads do no completely cover the entire wire. You will need a half inch on either side to twist the ends together tightly and make a loop.
Now hang them on your tree! Aren't they precious? I adore them. I hope you do too. Have a Merry Week!!!  
Thanks Shannon - what a great keepsake idea!  I still have the ornament I made in kindergarten - it is an egg cup bell, complete with pipe cleaner and glitter.  How about you?  Do you have any childhood handmade ornaments?
stay warm today (our high is only 28!!),
jesssica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...