Friday, December 10, 2010

Stress and Anxiety Anyone?

...so it's almost half way to Christmas and it's getting kinda crazy.  I am going to a party at 10am on Saturday, and throwing a party at 5:30pm Saturday.  I have been a little stressed.  I don't want to be - as usual there is this disconnect between who I actually am and who I long to be.  So if you are like me and busy, stressed, or anxious about holiday events, here are a few natural remedies to ease your mind and body.
  • Peppermint Essential oil - a popular and festive flavor found in many recipes this season.  Coincidence?  perhaps.  But peppermint essential oil has many indications for a busy time of year.  It relieves headache, mental fatigue, nervous stress, muscle pain, and migraines.  It is antiviral (helping to fight colds and flus), anti-inflammatory, expectorant, and analgesic.  I like to mix a few drops with safflower oil and rub it on the bottoms of my feet, then slip on some cozy socks.  If you have a cold - application to the chest will both reduce inflammation in the bronchial area and reduce the urge to cough (it is an antispasmodic too).  It is a stimulant, so I wouldn't use it before you go to bed - great to use right before a party or in the morning though.  NEVER put it in your bath. I did that once and it will freeze you.  You won't be able to warm up for quite some time.  Also children under 2 and pregnant women should avoid peppermint - it is a very strong oil.  
  • Accupressure - unlike acupuncture, this is something you can do at home.  Again I would focus on the feet.  There is a point right beneath the ball of your foot that can calm overactive adrenal glands and reduce stress.  
Put a few drops of peppermint on this spot and press with your thumb
(or have your hubby massage it for you :)
  • Massage - go see your massage therapist!!  You can buy a gift certificate while you are there for a gift - so not only can you relax, but you can knock one gift off your list.  Massage not only relieves the physical tension in your muscles, but provides you with an hour all to yourself to just lie still.  Mmmmm...sounds nice to me.  The therapist's caring touch can also relieve depression, calm anxiety, and boost your immune system (it moves fluid through the lymph system).
  • Find the Joy -  remember WHY you are throwing that party or making that gift.  I love to have people in my home, be surrounded by friends, and bring them joy by fixing cute foods or planning fun games.  I want to find or make that perfect gift because I care about the people in my life so much and I want them to know how much I love them.  When you center yourself and remember the reason you are doing the things you do, it can remove some of the pressure.  
 (image from Craftily Ever After)
So I hope you all have a lovely weekend - free from stress and anxiety and filled with Joy, Peace, and Love.
joyfully yours,
jessica

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting! I've been using the Peppermint bath from Bath and body every night and thinking it's the greatest...now I know why! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...