Monday, November 1, 2010

**Merry Mondays** - Embroidered Pillow Case

 Welcome to a new holiday segment on my blog!  Every Monday, from now 'till Christmas, I will have a handmade idea for you to use in your holiday crafting!  This first tutorial is something that I did at the very start of this little blog - so excuse some of the pics - I was still getting acquainted with my camera.  

This is a fairly simple project and inexpensive to make.  When you pair it with some tea or coffee you have a thoughtful gift sure to be appreciated by many.
 
You will need:
1 yard of soft cotton
embroidery floss
embroidery needle
emboidery pattern 
( I drew mine, but you can buy some here for a good price)
scissors
sewing machine/thread
water soluble pen


Step 1:   I used a pillowcase I already had as a pattern, matching up one edge to the fold of the fabric.
Add 4 1/2 inches to the left edge to create the folded opening.

Step 2: Cut out the rectangle - mine ended up being 34x19. (One of our cats, Pouncey, loves to help:) )Step 3: Open your fabric and fold up 1/4 inch on one the edge you will use for the opening of your pillow case. Press.
Step 4: Fold back 4 1/2 inches on the same edge to make your pillow case opening edge. Press.

Step 5: Now is the time to add any embroidery or embellishment you would like to the edge of your pillow case. I am certainly no expert on hand-embroidery. I simply draw a picture on the fabric with pencil, then fill it in with embroidery floss.  If you use a pattern, simply trace the design onto your fabric with a water soluable pen.  I work with three strands of floss and use a backstitch.

Step 6: Now topstitch the folded edge down to the pillowcase.

Step 7: Turn your pillowcase right sides together and stitch the long edge and the other end, using a 1/2 seam.

Step 8: Trim the edges of your seams with pinking shears, or zig zag stitch them.

Step 9: Turn the case right sides out and press. All done!

What a cozy gift!  Hope you all had a great weekend!
jessica

1 comment:

  1. Love the embroidery on the pillowcase--you're right--what a thoughful gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...