Tuesday, November 9, 2010

DIY Anthropologie-inspired "blooming deer" pillow


Hello!  Here I am with another project inspired by something I saw
while perusing my Anthro catalog that just came in the mail.
(Blooming Deer Pillow $88.00)

I liked it because it is seasonal, but not so literally Christmas.  I commissioned my talented hubby to draw the pattern for the deer head, then I did the rest.  I have made the pattern available for you here - so you can make one for yourself!  I just love pillows - they are such a fast and inexpensive way to spruce up any room.

Here's what you will need for this little number:
(I made a 14" pillow, but the Anthro one is 20" so adjust the measurements if you would like it to be larger)
Deer silhouette pattern
one 15" square piece of fabric for pillow front
a contrasting 15" square piece of fabric for pillow back
a 15" square of multi-colored decorator weight fabric ( I suggest home decor fabric because it usually has more texture to it and mimics the needlepoint design in the Anthropologie pillow).
1/2 yard of Wonder Under (when they cut it for you, be sure to ask for the directions)
1 spool of sulky white thread (I used the sulky type because I think it makes it look a little more professional)
1 bag of polyfil or a 15" pillow form
scissors
fabric marker
sewing machine
iron
yardstick
craft scissors

Step 1:  Download the pattern, tape it together, then cut it out.

Step 2: Lay it on your applique fabric and trace around the pattern.

Step 3:  Cut out the deer.  
Go slowly, especially around the antlers

Step 4:  Lay it right side up on top of Wonder under.  The wrong side of the fabric should be in contact with the rough side of the wonder-under.  Iron the deer - the heat will fuse the webbing to the back of the deer.

Step 5:  Very carefully peel the paper off the back of the deer.  
There will be a film on the back of your fabric.
Position it onto the pillow top exactly where you want it to be.  Iron the deer and the wonder-under film will adhere it to the pillow top.  This is just to hold it in place while you stitch around.  You would loose your mind trying to applique it on with pins stuck everywhere.

Step 6:  Find the zig-zag setting on your machine.  Change the width of the stitch to 3.5 and the length to .5 - this will create a dense stitch.  I practiced on a little piece first, which I suggest you do.  Your machine's length and width may be different than mine.  

Step 7:  Congrats!  You finished the pillow top.  
Be sure to press it and trim off any stray threads.

Step 8:  Now it is time to assemble the pillow.  Lay the pillow back on top of the pillow front - right sides together.  Pin around the sides - leaving an opening in the bottom about 6 inches long (if you are using a pillow form, leave almost the entire bottom edge open).  

Stitch around the edges, using 1/2" seams - be sure to leave the opening.

Step 9:  Flip the pillow - push out the corners using a pencil or chopstick.
Stuff it with polyfil or the pillowform until it is nice and firm.  
This is a great activity for those little eager hands.  
Charlotte calls it stuffing "clouds" into the pillow :)
 
Fold in the edges of the opening and pin.  Top-stitch or hand-whip it closed.  
That's it!  A gorgeous new pillow to spruce up any room in your home!

happy sewing!
xoxo
 jessica
please don't use any free Sew Homegrown patterns for your profit - only for personal use -thanks!

32 comments:

  1. I am impressed...it looks better than the one in the catalog! And you're so sweet to share your design! I love making pillows...need to just make pillow covers for awhile! heehee! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even this professional is impressed, really looks great! and the deer hunters in the family can use it for target practice:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel Howell-MorrisNovember 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM

    So, I really like you pillow better! That is so cute. My house is overrun with pillows . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! i can't imagine your hubby doing this...but mine likes to sit on/lay on/squash throw pillows and generally likes to make fun of their seeming purposeless existence. so throw pillows get a bit weathered at our house...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a coincidence! I was just trying to figure out how to make one of these earlier today and I just saw your project on One Pretty Thing. You did a wonderful job with this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your's is seriously way cuter! You rocked that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this! can you tell me where your darling fabirc for the deer is from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's awesome! Thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pillow!! I fell in love with those in the catalog and knew they'd be a great knockoff! Thanks so much for the pattern too!
    I was thrilled that you were one of the finalists - you did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked at this pillow in my catalogue, loved it and thought "I could SO make this." And you already did! And you gave us a pattern! You are fantastic! It turned out beautifully. I loved it because it celebrates the nature aspect of the holidays. Thanks again and hope your holidays are merry and mirth-filled!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a pillowcase using your deer pattern! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I made a pillowcase using your (husband's) pattern, too! I added a "Rudolph" nose - I hope you don't mind. :)

    I'm not sure how to post a link, but here's the url in case you'd like to see: http://picasaweb.google.com/whitecs/Craftiness#5551161736862495586

    I love, love, love the way your pillow turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. seriously love this. the fabric you used on the deer. perfect

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, its simple amazing, i really love your designs, ill try to do this one..
    Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas..

    Children Pillows

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this pillow. I won't be using it only at Christmas though. This will sit on my couch all year long. I can't wait to make it!!! Thank you for posting the directions and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your pillow on Tatertots and Jello and I must say, I am SO impressed! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that looks awesome!! not sure i could draw that deer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful. I would love for you to stop by and link up your pillow to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just discovered your blog and I love it! I'm going to make this pillow for my sister-in-law for christmas- Thank you so much for sharing this.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, stopped over from Living Savvy. I love this pillow and I'm definitely making it next year. Thanks so much for sharing the template.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the deer drawing. It made the project go much faster. I just made two pillows for my bed. I love them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really lovely, thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. I made this pillow today. I made it for my brother's birthday. He is a hunter and his living room is sort of a lodge theme. When he and his wife first married I made them deer stockings, so this was a very appropriate gift for him. I would like post my pillow on my blog with a link to your blog for my followers to get the pattern and see your beautiful pillow and inspiration pillow, if you are ok with me doing that? Either way. Love the pillow and would like for you to see how it turned out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. The pillow is wonderful - thank you for the inspiration and the DIY-tutorial - great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous work, love it!!! Also loved the sweet little girl that helped you! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit my blog :)
    Happy day!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a sewing Genius!! Thanks so much for the deer template, I have been looking for one everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I find it better to iron the fabric on the wonder under before cutting out your pattern. That way the wonder under doesn't stick on to my iron trying to get the edges and small areas and it is easier to cut out your pattern without the fabric fraying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...