Friday, January 21, 2011

DIY Cupcakes and Roses - Valentine T




This is a fast project (hour or less) with impressive results!  
Inspired by this shirt from Baby Gap:

Here's what you will need:
1 solid t-shirt or turtleneck (I got mine at Wal-mart for $2.00)
Scrap pink fabric
red thread (sulky preferred because it adds a little bit of shine)
batting scraps
sewing machine

Step 1: Cut out the bottom of the cupcake.  
To make the cupcake liner shape, I measured 3" for the bottom and 4" for the top 
- cut 2 pieces of pink, and 1 piece of batting.
sketch a few lines on one piece of the pink - to imitate the folds of a liner.

Step 2:  Sandwich the batting in between the two pieces of pink.  
Sew along the lines you drew like this:

When you're finished it will look like this:

Step 3:  Pin it to the top layer of the shirt
topstitch around the perimeter of the cupcake - be sure to only sew through the top layer of the shirt!

Step 4:  Now it's time to make the rosettes that comprise the cupcake icing.  Find 5 strips of pink fabric (about 1 1/2" wide) - I used some light pink and some medium pink because that is what I had.

Step 5:  You can  make the rosettes anyway you like - hand sew them or machine sew them.  
I chose to machine sew them 
- it gives it a little different look, but I was feeling too lazy to get out the needle and thread :)
If you want to machine sew them, start a little spiral:
and sew back and forth across it - kind of in a little star pattern.
You will need to make 1 large rosette and 4 small ones.

Step 6:  When you have made all 5, pin them onto the front of the shirt,
then top stitch them on - follow the lines created when you made the rosettes.

Step 7:  Cut out 2 little hearts out of pink fabric, and 1 little heart out of batting. 
Sandwich the batting in between the 2 hearts. 
 Pin it to the shirt:
Top stitch around the edge of the heart.

Put it on your little sweetie and give her a kiss!!

have a great weekend!
jessica

7 comments:

  1. This is soooo cute!! I love it! What a great knockoff. :) Your model is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS! It is awesome! :) I might have to try this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooo! I Love this! Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like yours better than the inspiration piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I just popped by from Twelve days until Christmas. I am a massage therapist in Canada and sew too! What great ideas you have on your blog, I will be back to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this cupcake is so pretty!! If you ever have a chance I'd love for you to link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com oh & p.s come enter my giveaway for an inspirational dog print :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put a link to this tutorial on my blog for a more usefulness. thanks a lot
    http://les-envies-de-sarrouska.over-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...