Monday, July 18, 2011

*CTSB*{DIY} Anthopologie-inspired Door Hanging

Wooo hoooo!  It's time to kick those summertime blues!
It's hot - the kids are a little antsy...so let's stay in the AC and get crafty!
We rearranged the "Summertime Blues" schedule a little 
so I'll be kicking things off today with this Anthro-knock off!
I made mine as door-hanging(I actually made two!) 15" square, theirs is a mirror 12" square.
mine $3:

theirs $168:

My sister and her husband are moving into a new condo on her birthday 
- so what better gift than something to brighten up their new door?  
I guarantee seeing this on your door will make coming home that much sweeter.  
Ready?  Here's what you'll need:
Scrapbook paper (or cut up magazines/greeting cards/etc.)
wooden frame (either purchased or made)
glue
foam brush
craft gloss glaze
xacto knife/scissors
ruler

Step 1: Cut out the squares.  The dimension of your squares will depend on the size of your frame.  My hubby built mine at 15"x15" - each side 2 1/2" wide.  So I cut 24 squares 2 1/2"x 2 1/2".
Step 2:  Decide on the placement of your squares, then glue them to the frame (I just used white Elmer's glue).
Step 3:  Brush the gloss on top of the "tiles" and let it dry.
Step 4:  If you would like a little bunting - make 4 triangles out of paper - I cut the letters H O M E and then sewed the triangles to a ribbon.
Ta- da!

Simple and stylish door-hanging - now go! go! go! Don't let those summertime blues get you!  And if you have older kids - they could make one of these for their room too!
Up next tomorrow - Jo Anna from A Pretty Life in the Suburbs with a Home Decor project!
Happy Monday!
xoxo
jessica

28 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm pinning it for my "I want to make" board. Thanks for the tutorial. Visiting from Skip to my Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. I love the tiled look. Yours looks BETTER than Anthopologie's. Awesome paper choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so adorable! I love it . . . I think yours is cuter than the original, too :-) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute Jessica!! I love the paper you used and the little home pennant is just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome. The wreath for the door is my fave. Thanks for sharing how you made them. I've pinned these to my wreath board to come back and look at later :-)

    I found you through Made By You Mondays and am your newest follower. Come check me out, too, if you're interested @ Carissa's Creativity Space

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This may go down as one of your top tutorials, I love it and what a lucky sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been searching for something different for my door! Love your version! And of course, love your price!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is too cute! Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly had to scroll back and forth because I wasn't sure which was the Anthro and which was yours. Amazing job! I would be thrilled if you shared your project on my Inspiration Board.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/07/inspiration-board-link-party_19.html
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    carolyn | homework

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple but oh so adorable! Really lovely project!

    I saw this at Made By You Mondays and had to come see, and follow!

    http://www.releasemecreate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful job on your frame! I definitely like your version better!
    Saw your frame at Somewhat Simple. Thanks for sharing. My daughter is big Anthro fan - this gives me an idea of what to do with an old window frame I'm fixing up for her room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! I adore knock-offs because, really, who has $168 to spend on a little mirror??? :) I'm a follower now!

    http://aunnajames.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! You did a great job, I think I like your version better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so clever and I love everthing about it!!!!
    Great job!!!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my...I love it! I have so many projects I want to do but this is going to the top of my list! Thanks so much for sharing...found you on Tatertots and Jello link..Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful! We are updating my girls room, they would have fun making this match.
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! Thanks for the inspiration! I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is adorable! I love the Home banner in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is wonderful, thanks for sharing!
    Vanina
    mothercrafter - handmade happiness

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Can you tell me the brand of the paper please?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute!!!! And so Ironic I found you on Pinterest and I am living in Japan as well!!!! I am totally going to have to do this for our daughters room once she arrives! Did you get the frame somewhere in Japan or did you make them? If so I would like to know where to find it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Courtney - my husband made the frames, but that was when we lived in TN ;) Email me and let me know where you live in Japan! jessica@sewhomegrown.com

      Delete
  23. We liked this so much over at Copycat Crafts that we featured it recently! You can view it here
    http://www.copycatcrafts.com/anthro-inspired-door-hanging/

    We'd love it if you'd like to display a featured button! You can grab your button on the right hand side of your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...