Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christmas by the {Faux} Fireside...

 Well hello there.  I really hope all is well with you, and that you had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday!  Ours was spent with some new but dear friends here in Japan.  It was the kind of relaxed, comfortable fun that everyone hopes for.
I love having people over, not only because I enjoy their company but because of the motivation I find to clean and decorate.  The Sunday before Thanksgiving, the Officer and I were discussing possibilities for places to hang our stockings for Christmas.  He remembered seeing plans for a faux fireplace on the Ana White's blog - and I instantly fell in love.  


I'm thankful that we are able to live on base in military housing, but these town homes are basically big white boxes.  Everything is white - floors, walls, ceiling, appliances, closets- no character whatsoever...so my challenge is to bring in color and character in unconventional ways.  
This faux fireplace accomplishes both! 
So there we were - hammering, sanding, cooking Thanksgiving dinner...at one point I running from the kitchen to the backyard - drying cornbread and painting at the same time.  Wednesday night we brought it in and the Officer installed it - anchoring it into the wall with a couple of screws. 

You can find the tutorial for this faux fireplace at Ana's blog here.


This fireplace was pretty easy to build - and the added touch of chalkboard paint provides some whimsy.  So what do you think?  Where do you hang your stockings if you don't have a fireplace?  Hope you're all having fun decorating!!
xoxo
jessica

4 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely idea, the fireplace looks great! The yellow is such a fun pop of colour, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, this is seriously amazing. I just love it! Your house does not at all look like base housing... So congrats on successfully giving your plain white box lots of fun character. I need a faux fireplace now, too, and plan on showing my husband. so glad you had a good Thanksgiving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being on base housing has always been a blessing and a curse for us. I LOVE it overseas where I could never afford a place that big off base. That being said, the first time we moved off base I painted every wall in the house. Color is so much fun. I love what you've done with the fireplace. What a great addition to the home. It will be so much easier for Santa to fill stockings with a mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cute! Even though I have a fireplace, I hang my stockings on an old carved shelf in my entry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...