Monday, November 22, 2010

*Merry Monday* Handmade Dude

Okay, you know guys are THE hardest people to make things for.  I mean how do you make a circular saw?  And I'm not about to undertake making a dress shirt.  Of course you can knit a hat or give them a coupon saying you will wash their car.  All good.  All been done.  So I did some research and found a couple of unique ideas
(*spoiler alert* if you are a man in my family - don't read anymore unless you don't want surprises).
  • Beef Jerky:  One site had a quote from a guy saying "If I can't eat it or drink it, don't make it for me".  Well, there you go.  It is easy to make, unique, and not that expensive.  Here are a couple of links to recipes:  Island Cowboy Beef Jerky     Homemade Jerky     Marinated Spicy Jerky
  • Dude Rice Bags:  You know, guys get aches and pains too - why not make a manly rice bag?  I am going to make one from an old flannel shirt
and one from an old t-shirt.
  • You can find my rice bag tutorial here.
                                          
  • Spice Rub:  Does your dude like to barbecue?  How about mixing up a ready to use spice rub?  Put it in a jar with a label and you're done.  A very practical gift.  This is one of Ryan's favorite rubs:  Wild Willy's Wonderful Rub
  • Candy:  Back to the food genre - how about these homemade peanut butter cups or chocolate bark?
So those are a few of my ideas for the guys in my life.  Please, please let me know some of yours!  And remember, as you're making Sew Homegrown projects, upload your pics to the Flickr Pool to be entered to win the adorable Bridget and Lucy Ruffle Joy Kit!
jessica

4 comments:

  1. Great ideas! It's always hard for me to shop for the men in my life! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along with the rub, you could make up a marinade and a barbeque or grilling sauce, add a basting brush (small cheap paint brush), some tongs and an oven mit, and you have a fantastic package for your grillin' fella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy are you right about them loving FOOD! :) My father-in-law is the absolute hardest person to buy or make for. A few years ago it occurred to me that even he has to eat :) I like to make "sentimental" recipes for him - like the molasses gingerbread cookies his grandmother used to make when he was a kid. Do the guys in your life have special favorite foods from their childhoods? Bet they do! Get the recipes from their moms or grandmas & surprise them with a blast from the past!
    :)
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this sounds funny, but sometimes we give my FIL meat for holidays! He loves to grill so I go to a local butcher who makes some of his own sausages and has handcut meats and I get him an assortment of meat. And he loves it!

    This year, for my FIL I am going to make and freeze a lasagna, some homemade cinnamon rolls, etc. and give it to him. I mean, he loves a homemade meal and really has everything else he needs...

    I like the beef jerky idea, though-never considered that one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...