Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What is a rutabaga anyway?


Monday was a first for me - I bought a rutabaga.  Do you even know what one looks like?  I kind of did - like some turnip thing right?  But I've never bought one or cooked with one.  So I was browsing around online trying to make a menu for the week, and I found a recipe for Farmhouse Chowder.
 Looks yummy right?  But it called for rutabagas.  So I bravely went to my grocery store and picked one up.  The cashier actually didn't know what it was either.  So with all of the mystery surrounding the rutabaga I was curious -does it even have any nutritional value?
Here's what I found:
  • It is related to cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, etc.
  • Excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin A
  • Harvested in late summer and early fall
So it does contain some vitamins and fiber.  It's going in the soup tonight.  I think the soup will be delicious - I'll let you know.  I'm curious - have any of you cooked a rutabaga?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...