Monday, January 31, 2011

Coffee for two {year olds} - Starbucks Felt Playset


When we jump in the car, Charlotte usually asks if we are going to the fabric store or Starbucks.  If you know me at all, you know I love Starbucks.  I've worked there, and I go there frequently.  So I was browsing all of the cute felt food out in blogland and I was trying to think of something Charlotte could relate to.  This is what came to mind! I decided field research was necessary, so I hopped in the car and headed off to sbux.  I ordered a coffee and a pastry, and I snagged an extra cup sleeve. Then I came home - all hyped up on caffeine and sugar, and whipped up these little beauties.  Here's the tutorial if you would like to make some!
You will need:
white felt
dark brown felt
light brown felt
pink felt
coffee sleeves
sbux pastry bag
needle and thread
polyfill
sewing machine
pins
scissors

Step 1:  Cut out the pieces for the cups.
2 Dark brown circles - 3" in diameter
2 white circles - 2 1/2" in diameter
2 white pieces - bottom measuring 7 1/2" and the top measuring 9 1/2" inches
draw diagonal lines connecting the bottom to the top.

Step 2:  Now cut out your doughnut pieces.  The starbucks lid makes a perfect circle to trace for these.  You need two light brown, and two dark brown.  Then cut out a lazy, squiggly shape to make the icing.  One out of pink, and one out of dark brown.  

I am mimicking Starbucks's mini doughnuts:

Step 3:  Pin the icing on one of the circles.  Topstitch it on. about 1/8" in from the edge of the icing.

Place the other circle on top (right sides together) and stitch around the edge, leaving about an inch open for turning and stuffing.  Stuff it with stuffing.

Step 4:  Using a needle and matching thread, hand stitch it closed.  Then hand stitch the circle shape in the middle.  I didn't want to actually cut out a circle, because if you look at the Starbucks ones, the icing sinks down in the hole and covers it.
 Step 4:  Make the cups.  Start with the large cup piece.  Sew along the sideseam.

Pin the white circle to the bottom of the cup(smaller opening), and sew all the way around.

Now pin the brown circle on the top and sew around, leaving about an inch open for turning and stuffing.

Flip it right sides out.  I poured some lentils in first to weight the bottom.  
You don't want your coffee cups tipping over!
Then I stuffed it full of stuffing.  
I slipped the sleeves on first so that I knew I would get it stuffed the right amount.

Then just hand whip the opening, and you are ready for a coffee date!

Have fun!  and if you make this little project, or any other from this blog, don't forget to upload a pic to the Flickr pool!
AND if you make a Valentine's craft or food item - please join our Linky Party - click over there on the right side bar!  Have a great day.
jessica



26 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! I think they turned out just darling and I loved that you made something personal. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a thought...maybe you could fill the bottom with whole coffee beans to weight it down...then it would smell like coffee too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! And Georgi's idea is superb... I love that when you get in the car Charlotte asks if it's Starbucks or the Fabric store--that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a cute idea! It would make a nice little gift as well for other "coffee lovers"!

    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I am glad someone already mentioned filling it with coffee beans! That is the first thing I thought! Love the project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Gasp*, this is sooooo wrong, it's right! So meaningful, so relatable, and soooooo you!!! From an ECE teacher, great job; from a mommy crafter; Love it, and from your friend; Love love, LOVE you and Char!!! and the coffe beans. . . PERFECT (said in a sing-songy voice, high to low)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SOOOOOO stinkin' cute!! I can see the kiddoes driving around the house in the Cozy Coup, felt Starbucks cup in hand!

    I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-felt-starbucks-coffee-playset/2011/02/03/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. I'm not a sewer...but might just have to attempt this. My son always says the same thing..."Are we going to Starbucks" *Blush*
    In fact he enjoys playing "drive-thru" on a regular basis. This might make it more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay felt Starbucks!
    http://thecraftartykid.blogspot.com/2010/03/starbucks.html
    I've made one before too :)
    Love this

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SOOOO cute!! I saw this on One Pretty Thing. I made a fabric cake, and was thinking about what other fake "food" I could make, and this is a great idea! I love it!
    I am now a new follower!

    http://fallanstechnicolordreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I featured it today on Today's Top 20! I'd love for you to stop by!

    Amanda
    www.todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!! SO cute!!
    I made these with my kiddies today and well, not even half as good as yours but...they don't mind and it was very fun! They thank you and so do I
    We are startin' em early!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute! I'm so making this for my kids for Valentine's Day. They just got a kitchen for Christmas, and they love to pretend with coffee, so this is going to be a huge hit!

    I've been following for a few weeks, and I have to say, I love your blog and your ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Cute Starbucks...Nice blog too :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is brilliant! Love it! You are a riot!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is adorable. Thank you for the tutorial! I hope you don't mind that I included a link to you in a recent post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how tall is the pattern for the white cup?

    joaniehoffmann@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, I SO LOVE these!! Adorable! The pink donuts were my son's absolute favorite thing there and then they stopped carrying them. :( This is too cute...I just have to share on my One Artsy Mama FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is so cute and clever! very nice job making such a fun felt project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG these are ADORABLE!! I have a dear friend who totally loves Starbucks and is pregnant right now...it's going to be VERY hard not to have to make her a set like this one, lol! Thanks for posting this totally cute idea! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...