Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Healthy, Colorful Dinner

This is the type of meal I enjoy cooking.  
It comes together quickly and looks pretty.  
 Bonus: it is super healthy!

MENU:
Pan-seared Wild Salmon
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Broiled Asparagus
Tip:  Walmart sells a bag of frozen Wild Salmon (better for you than farmed Salmon) for only $5.00!


Here are some of the vitamins in this meal:
Salmon:  Omega 3's - help with brain function, heart health, cholesterol, and many many other things.  Vitamin D, lots of good protein, and B vitamins.

Sweet Potatoes: high in vitamin A, C, and fiber. 
( I peel and slice mine, then boil them until tender, drain, then mash them up and add some butter)

Broiled Asparagus: high in vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, A, and B vitamins.
( I cut off the tough ends, and put them in a dish.  Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Then broil them for 7-10 minutes - checking often so they don't burn)

(Charlotte loves it too!)

So give this meal a try sometime.  You're body (and your tastebuds) will thank you!
jessica

5 comments:

  1. Your dinner looks so good! Sweet potatoes are also serotonin rich and that is good for your mood. I love roasted asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love all those things! I am having a hard time loving frozen salmon though; am I snob for wanting it fresh (and wild-caught)? The last couple of times I've made frozen salmon from Publix I thought it was overly chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no - you are definitely NOT a snob for loving fresh, wild salmon. I love that too! In fact we have this amazing organic store that sells great salmon. BUT it's not always in my budget :) This salmon seems to be the best second choice I've found. Just be sure not to cook it too long - that might help with the chewiness (and I'm jealous that you get to go to Publix...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummm how old is Charlotte? My little ones have a very wide food range. Avocados and mushrooms are all time favs, but I can't even get them to try asparagus. What's your secret???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte is 2 1/2. I've kind of done like you have it seems - offered a wide variety of veggies. She will eat a couple of bites of the asparagus by itself - but she eats it better if there is some salmon on the fork too. She loves salmon. So maybe try that - combine it with something they love? Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...