Thursday, July 12, 2012

{DIY} Ombre Seashell Wreath


We just spent four lovely days on Sanibel Island with my family.(which Charlotte called Santa-bell Island)  Sanibel is one of the world's best places to collect seashells - and I confess, I love to be right out there with the leathery old ladies, bent over and almost compulsively stuffing seashells into my bag. 
But here's my problem - I collect these shells, admire their beauty, then stuff them in a bag... which sits in the car... until the end of summer... then stinks of old shells... but I don't have the heart to throw them away... so they get moved to the back of a closet somewhere.  It's such a sad little ending for these pretty shells - lonely and forgotten and longing for the sunlight to transform them into tiny jewels from the sea.
 
This ombre wreath was the perfect solution to my collecting addiction.

Now it may only interest me and the leathery old ladies, but I thought I'd share it anyway, in case you happen to have a bag of shells in your car... from last summer... or last week - whatever.
Here's what you'll need to make your own:
1 Wreath Form
1 Yard of Muslin
Lots of Hot Glue and a Glue Gun
and of course - Sea Shells of all colors, shapes, and sizes

....and here's the simple directions
~wrap the wreath form in torn strips of muslin
~arrange the seashells so that they begin with one color and fade into the next
~hot glue them on

Super easy and a not-so-tacky way to display your little treasures! 
You could also use a strong craft glue and let the little hands in your home help out.
 
happy crafting - and if you're a leathery old lady, I'll see you at the beach soon ;)
xoxo
jessica

5 comments:

  1. Our Florida shores are being a bit stingy with the shells these days. I'd love to visit Sanibel! Lovely wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - when I first looked at it I thought you had painted the shells a little to give them their colors. It's so cool that they're all natural!! Super pretty wreath Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! Jessica, this is GORgeous! We always bring a ton of shells home from Myrtle Beach and then I can't figure out what to do with them! I'm totally pinning this. I love the wreath to begin with, but the ombre effect you created puts it over the top!! I would be so so thrilled if you'd share this at my party:
    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/07/shine-on-fridays-36-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! Better start collecting shells...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...