Friday, August 12, 2011

A Bow Fit for a Princess

So my family lives in Orlando, and so far we haven't done anything Disney with Charlotte.  However her 3rd birthday is right around the corner so tonight we are going to have dinner with Cinderella, Prince Charming, the stepmother and stepsisters!  Say what you will about princessesy things - I love it!  Needless to say, Charlotte had to have a new outfit.  The dress is actually still under construction as I'm writing this (although that is a swatch of the fabric in the picture),
but I did get the bow finished last night.

I'm not an extraordinary bow maker, but I thought it turned out quite lovely and will hopefully look great with the dress - I'll show you the full outfit Monday :)
Here's a quick little tut for how I did it:
(I found all of those things at Joanns.)

Step 1: I measured my base ribbon out to 28", then put a little mark every 7 inches.
Fold the ribbon so that the first two marks line up:

Step 2:  Loop around the right side so that the next mark lines up in the center as well.  Then make another loop around the left side - continuing lining up the marks. 

Step 3: Once you have 2 loops on each side, tie a ribbon very tightly around the center - cinching it tightly.

Step 4:  Fluff out the loops on each side.  Then I added the sparkly "ribbon" by placing a small dab of hot glue in the center of the bow - gluing one end of the ribbon.  I then let it follow the base ribbon - just securing it in the center on the front and back as I went.

Step 5:  Then I tied the teal ribbon around the center of the bow to conceal the thread and hot glue.  I then glued the button in the center of the teal ribbon.  I decided it need a little more glam, so I glued some little sparkly tails onto the back.  Then I just glued the clip onto the back - ta-da! 

A bow Cinderella would certainly approve of. 
Happy weekend!
xoxo
Jessica


3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet Jessica!! I love that touch of glittery trim - perfect for a princess. :) I can't wait to see the whole outfit and I hope that Charlotte has a fabulous time at her princess dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I need to practice making more bows!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bow is really cute---I'm always kind of scared to make them because I always think I'm going to ruin the ribbon.

    Also---I have those same black buttons...I bought them awhile ago (um...several sets of them) because I lOVED them but have been saving them for something. Putting them on a bow is a great idea.
    liZ
    (ps---I don't think I ever commented on your business card post or not but I don't think I did---anyway THEY ARE REALLY CUTE!!! I totally like them. I don't know what your others looked like but the ones you decided on are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...