Monday, April 25, 2011

Family Fashion Week Day 1 - T-shirt for Daddy!

Welcome to Family Fashion Week on Sew Homegrown!
This week we are going to revamp the whole family's wardrobe.  Time to get everyone ready for summer!

We're starting out with the men, because they are tricky to make things for.
Okay - how funny is this shirt?!

It's a copycat of this t-shirt from Urban Outfitters.

When Ryan and I saw it we literally laughed out-loud.  This shirt would be a great gift for your hubby, brother, son, cousin, dad, or friend.  It's pretty easy - no sewing required - just some simple freezer paper stenciling.  Now, I know that I am like the last person in blog world to do freezer paper stenciling...but better late than never right?
So let's get to it.  Here's what you'll need:

1 T-shirt in the appropriate size
fabric paint (or acryllic paint and fabric medium)
freezer paper
FREE T-REX PATTERN (that I drew...just for you.  because I love you.)
paint brush
xacto knife

Step 1:  Print the pattern.  Connect the dino at the x's.  Trace it onto the freezer paper.  Cut it out with an exacto knife. It's up to you to make the words.  I just used Microsoft Word.  I would recommend a simpler font than I used - those little curves were tricky.
  
Step 2:  Using a dry, hot iron, iron the stencil onto the t-shirt.  
Paint the shirt.


Step 3:  After it has fully dried, peel the paper off.  If you are using the acrylic/fabric medium combo you will need to let it dry overnight, then iron it, then wash it in cool water.
Easy craft for a guy right?  
Enjoy!
jessica

3 comments:

  1. This is too funny Jessica!! I love the shirt - what a great knockoff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Love this! Urban Outfitters is one of my favorite places to shop...great easy diy!

    -Lindsay
    Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...