Friday, April 15, 2011

Natural Health: Tart Cherry Juice


Yesterday I had a coupon and bought some of this Organic Tart Cherry Juice.  

Let me start out by saying that it tastes amazing.  
Just like a homemade cherry pie - if you like that sort of thing.  
But the reason I bought it was to use it as a sleep aid.  In general I have a hard time settling down - 
I have too many ideas floating around in my head!  
But tart cherry juice has a high concentration of melatonin - the chemical released by our pineal gland that induces drowsiness and lowers body temperature.  A friend of mine gives it to her son (he's about 7) to help him settle down before bed.  I've only had it one night so I'll let you know how it works.  But tart cherry juice doesn't stop there - here are some other benefits:
  • powerful antioxidant (cancel's out cancer-causing free radicals)
  • reduces inflammation in the body (therefore reducing pain caused by inflammation)
  • reduces triglycerides - great for fighting heart disease
  • sleep aid
From what I've read, you should take two glasses of it a day as a sleep aid - about 4oz in the morning and about 8oz 2-3 hrs before bedtime.  Some people mix it with a sparkling water for fun - sounds good to me!  Hope this was interesting and helpful - 
have a healthy day,
jessica

2 comments:

  1. Cherry juice is also a good natural pain reliever. I had kidney infections, and that was one of the ways that helped relieve some of the pain (I was limited to natural pain relief only). My grandma has also used it to relive arthritis pain and gout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loVe tart cherry juice!!! Currently I am almost 5 months pregnant but before that I ran...a lot...a whole lot...and my joints would hurt (especially after long runs) but then I started drinking tart cherry juice and my joint pain disappeared. I know that sounds wierd but it's true.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...