Friday, October 8, 2010

Janie and Jack-o-lantern: DIY T-shirt Applique

Janie and Jack is a lovely Children's clothing store.  I always love to go in and browse when I visit Orlando.  Of course, like everything else I like, it is very expensive.  Sometimes you can find a good sale, but I often want what is in season now.  This year they have the cutest Halloween collection.  I really loved this little t-shirt($28).
Appliqued felt pumpkins with the caption "cutest in the patch" embroidered beneath.  So cute!  So the other day as I was organizing Char's closet, I stumbled across a plain white t-shirt, and I was inspired.
 
The one I made is girly, like the original, but I think with a few minor adjustments it could be made for a little boy too.  If you'd like to make one for your little one - here's the tutorial!
You'll need:
a long-sleeved white t-shirt
orange felt
green felt
black embroidery floss
needle
water-soluble fabric pen
paper and pencil
Step 1:  Draw a sketch of the pumpkins, or print mine out here.
Step 2:  Cut out your paper patterns and trace them onto the correct colors of felt.
Step 3:  Cut out the felt pumpkins.

Step 4:  Thread a needle with 3 strands of black embroidery floss.  You are going to embroider the "inside" detailing of the pumpkins - the lines and the jack-o-lantern face.
Step 5:  Pin the pumpkins to the t-shirt.  I focused on centering the jack-o-lantern and then arranged the other two around it.

Step 6:  Embroider around the pumpkins and stems/leaves.  Don't forget to add the curly vines.  It WILL look handmade - but that's okay.  The Janie and Jack one was made in a factory somewhere - yours is unique and made with loving hands :)
Step 7:  Write the caption under the pumpkins with a fabric pen.

Step 8:  Thread your needle with 2 strands of black embroidery floss and follow your letters, embroidering the phrase.
Step 9:  Rinse the fabric pen off and Ta-Da!! You're all set!

Put it on your little pumpkin and enjoy the fall weather!  Have a great weekend!

jessica

4 comments:

  1. That is precious! LOVE it--and waaay better than paying $28 for a kids shirt, right?! (I mean they're just gonna spill something on it anyhow, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think this is one of my favorites of your amazing line up of inspired projects! So Cool and cute!!!!!
    Jessica J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo very cute! I am making two of these this weekend! Thank you for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Clorissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favorites of your amazing line up of inspired projects! So Cool and cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...