Friday, March 18, 2011

Pretty Flower Easter Eggs - Pottery Barn Style


While shopping with Beverly, from Flamingo Toes, last week, I found some easter eggs at Pottery Barn covered in little hydrangea blossoms. (sadly I could not find a picture online of the inspiration eggs, so you'll just have to take my word for it)  I love hydrangeas, in fact they are my favorite flower. 
We had them at our wedding in our bouquets, on the cake, and on the tables.
 

My great-grandmother used to grow huge bushes of hydrangeas, and my mom and dad have one of the plants transplanted from her old home. So, I'm really happy that they seem to be "in" right now.  I'm not really sure the silk flowers I used are actually hydrangeas, but they looked close enough and were only $1 for a bunch of 3 at Michaels.  The eggs at Pottery Barn were $6.00 each, making the cost for 6 eggs, $36.00.  I spent $10.39 on the supplies to make my own.  Here's how you can make some for your home!

Supplies:
6 paper mache eggs (I got mine at Michaels for $2.50 
- I thought they would withstand the hot glue better than plastic ones)
ribbon
silk hydrangea flowers ( I bought 2 bunches of each color, $1 a bunch)
hot glue/glue gun
scissors

Step 1:  Heat up your glue gun and snip all of the blossoms off the stems.
Separate them by color,

then by size.

Step 2:  Cut 6 pieces of ribbon about 6" long.  Put a dab of hot glue on the top of an egg.  Gently press one end of the ribbon in the glue.  Loop the ribbon around and glue it to the secured end.  Now you have a pretty little loop to hang your eggs.  

Step 3:  Begin gluing the blooms on.  Start with the large blooms.  Just experiment with the gluing method - I got better as I went along.  You might have to put a dab of glue in the center of the flower first - stick it on - then add some glue to the petals.  They don't have to lay flat - in fact it's better if they don't - but you don't want them sticking out in every direction either.

Step 4:  Once you have a nice coverage from the large blooms, begin filling in the spaces with the medium and small sized blooms.  Just keep going until you can't see any of the original egg.  

Then you're finished!  Hang in a lovely spot or on some branches in a vase.


Happy gluing and have a great weekend,
jessica

9 comments:

  1. I just love these! Must get some eggs, check my silk flowers, may need the hydrangeas, got lots of glue and ribbon! I have to make these!! Thank you for all your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so sweet Jessica!!! Much prettier than the PB versions!!
    I love your wedding pictures too.
    And did you make your clock?? It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle made that clock - isn't it cool? He's very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty post and tutorial, of course the wedding pics make me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, there are so many things I love about this post! Your wedding pictures are GORGEOUS! I absolutely LOVE that clock also! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! I love hydrangeas too, and used them in my wedding also- fake, so they are still used all over my house! Your tutorial is great too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the coolest idea! and the best thing: I have all the 'ingredients' at home!
    good job.
    have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so creative and resourceful too! Nice job!

    Buy WoW Accounts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooo pretty!! I love how you've displayed them!
    And your wedding pictures are just gorgeous!

    ps - I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...