Monday, March 28, 2011

DIY Bunny Pencil Pouch - inspired by West Elm


I knew as soon as I saw these sweet little bunnies on West Elm, that I had to make one for Charlotte.

We are always toting around markers, pencils, crayons, etc - this makes a perfect gift.  Any little girl or boy would love to find one of these in their Easter Basket.  

You could fill it with stickers, crayons, notepad, markers, pencils, whatever!  It's pretty simple to make and should take you about an hour.

Here's what you will need:
2 buttons
embroidery floss
an old sweater (I used one that had been shrunk in the wash)
some lining fabric
printed fabric for the inside of the ears
small piece of velcro (one rough, one soft)
a pom pom for the tail
sewing machine/thread
scissors
yard stick
needle/thread

Step 1:  Cutting the pieces.  
Out of the sweater - cut one rectangle 6" long x 5 1/5" wide for the front
- one rectangle 8" long x 6 1/2" wide for the back
Out of the lining fabric cut one rectangle 14" long x 6 1/2' wide and
-one square 5" x 5" for the face
-cut four ears: two out of sweater material, and two out of a print
about 6" long x 1 3/4" wide at the base.  Taper them to look like ears.

Step 2:  Sew the ears right sides together.  Clip the top point flat and turn right sides out.
Now is the time to make the bunny face.  Sew two buttons on for eyes, and sew a little triangle for the nose.  I just drew a triangle with a water soluble pen and filled it in with stitches going back and forth.

Step 3:  Now it is time to assemble the face, ears, and back.  Lay the ears on the right side of the back, with the print facing up. 

Lay the face right side down on top of the ears.  Make sure all the edges are aligned, and then pin.  Sew along the edge you pinned - using about a 3/8" seam.

hello bunny :)

Step 4:  Lay the bunny wrong side down on top of the lining rectangle.
Trim the lining to match the shape of your bunny.

Now put them right sides together and pin around the edges.  Be sure to tuck the ears in so they won't get caught in the seam. 

Sew around the edge, leaving an opening in the bottom.  Press well and he should look like this:
Don't worry about closing that little opening - it will get caught in the next seam.

Step 5:  Sew the front pouch, right sides together, to the back.  Sew along the sides and bottom only.
Clip the corners, and flip him.  Press well.

Step 6:  Hand whip the velcro on - one piece on the pouch and one piece on the mouth.  

Hand whip the pom pom on the back.

There he is!  

What a cute little bunny.  Hoppy Monday!
xoxo,
jessica

13 comments:

  1. This is sooooo cute Jessica!!! I just love it!! It's perfect for an Easter basket - what a great knockoff!! Love the tail. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little project for Easter! I love seeing sweaters re-purposed. Inevitably sweaters shrink, go out of style, etc. I love finding ways to give them new life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an adorable project. I see trips to the thrift store for sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Cute!!!!
    I'd love it if you would link up over at the Glitter Party!!!
    http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/weekly-tues-thurs-link-party.html
    xoxo
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! Thanks for sharing! I think I'll give it a try right away!
    I'll let you know how it turned out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are absolutely adorable! Thanks for the tutorial!!! I'd love to have you share this at my For the Kids Friday link party! Come join the fun!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-kids-friday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute Easter idea instead of all those candies my kids tend to get from the grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a cute gift that would make. I like all the fabrics and the sweater that went in making this pencil case!

    I am having a giveaway on my blog. $20 store credit from My Carrie Creations to get a backpack with your kids fav character ( fancy Nancy, princessses, ballerina and more). Check it out.
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/20-store-credit-from-my-carrie.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is sooooo adorable! :) Thank you very, very much for this tutorial - I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. I love this! So adorable. I can see my daughter being thrilled with such a sweet pocket for storing her colored pencils. If you are interested in adding this great link to our show and tell feature, I am sure our readers would appreciate it! http://www.abcand123learning.com/2011/04/show-and-tell-52.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am featuring this project in the next For the Kids Friday Link Party. Be sure to stop by and grab an A++ button!!! I just LOVE these!!

    Thanks for linking this project up with For the Kids Fridays! I appreciate you stopping by, and hope to have you back for this week’s party! I’ll be posting it later tonight.

    rachel at SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are CRAZY adorable. I want to make them tonight because we will be toting crayons and pencils with us tomorrow allll day long. I hope I can crank these out tonight. ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jessica. i have just made one of these and posted it on my blog with a link to your blog i hope this is ok?. Pop over and check you are happy with what i have put. thanks for sharing tina x x http://www.scratchycatcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...