Thursday, May 5, 2011

Last minute Mother's Day gift


Not that we waited until the last minute because we don't love our mommas....it's just the last minute because we are busy...and distracted...and procrastinators.  But no worries - you can whip these sweet dishtowels up in about 30 minutes.  Here's what you'll need:
1/2 yard of 2 different fabrics - I chose a nice linen by Valori Wells
some ric rac (or trim of your choice)
sewing machine/thread
scissors/yard stick
iron/ironing board

Step 1:  Cut a rectangle 18" x 26" out of each piece of fabric. 

Step 2:  Press each side under 1/4" and then another 1/4".  This will hide the raw edges.

When you come to a corner - miter it like this:

Step 3:  Once all the edges are turned under and pressed, top stitch around the entire towel.

Step 4:  Pin the ric rac along the bottom edge of the towel.

Then topstitch it on.  Now you have a nice little gift for your momma.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Looks super cute and easy! Thank you!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are great! I love the cute linen, I've never seen anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These dishtowels are so beautiful that I had to share them with my readers. I hope you don't mind that I've posted your picture and a link to this tutorial over on my blog at www.carmenhollywood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm glad I'm not going crazy...yesterday I kept thinking I was getting the wrong blog when it was switching over to make it lovely instead of sew home grown...

    Anyways, I like the new name and your new header is darling.
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if some lucky mother will be receiving lovely dishtowels. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pretty dish towels! I repinned them to my Pinterest board months ago. I included them with a link back to your site in my Mother's Day Gift Tutorials post here:

    http://freshjuniper.blogspot.com/2012/05/mothers-day-gift-tutorials-25-quick.html

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! If you have a question, make sure your email is in your profile or leave it in a comment so I can answer you. Otherwise email me at jessica(at)sewhomegrown(dot)com - Have a lovely day!

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...